Witnessed by thousands attending the celebration, the dead Indian is miraculously brought back to life through Our Lady of Guadalupe's intercession. Read A True Story.
Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mexico City
Built in 1976, this fifth temple is the present basilica where Our Lady of Guadalupe's Sacred Image welcomes you as you enter any of its doors.
The Basilica's Altar
The original Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe is behind the Altar, while St Juan Diego is on the side.
Crucifix bent by bomb explosion
Despite the damage made to the large crucifix, Our Lady's Sacred Image and its glass enclosure miraculously remained intact.
The Little Hill (Tepeyac) & Chapel
The Church on the top of the hill marks the spot where Our Lady of Guadalupe appeared on 9 December 1531 and where St Juan Diego picked the roses on 12 December.
Close up of Chapel of the Little Hill
Built in 1666 on the exact location where Our Lady of Guadalupe first appeared to Juan Diego.
Site where St Juan Diego picked the roses
Located on the right side facing the Chapel of the Little Hill, this door marks the location of the miraculous roses picked by St Juan Diego. Our Lady of Guadalupe arranged the flowers on his tilma before taking them to the Bishop.
Chapel of the Roses - The Only Column Left
The only column left of the Chapel of the Roses built in 1895 on the spot where Our Lady met St Juan Diego on 12 December 1531. She asked him to climb Tepeyac Hill and pick the miraculous roses as a sign for Bishop Zumarraga. It has Our Lady's statue dating back to 1794.
Parish of the Indians
Built for the native Indians in 1649, this chapel is the oldest temple around the basilica. It was restored in 1998. The lower right corner marks the spot where St Juan Diego lived.
Cross marks where Juan Diego lived his last years
Located on the right side facing the Parish of the Indians, St Juan Diego lived close to Our Lady's Sacred Image in the original chapel built by Bishop Zumarraga in 1531.
Foundations of first chapels built for Our Lady of Guadalupe
The sacristy of the Parish of the Indians reveals excavated foundations of the first chapel built by Bishop Zumarraga in 1531 and the second chapel built in 1556 to house Our Lady's Sacred Image.
Pocito Chapel - where a spring flowed from Tepeyac
This larger chapel was completed in 1791 where the original temple was built in the middle of the 17th Century. This chapel has a well inside where people collected water from the miraculous spring flowing from eastern side of Tepeyac Hill.
Benedict XIV quote: 'He has not done this for other nations'
A Latin excerpt from Psalm 147 quoted by Pope Benedict XIV - the English translation is 'He has not done this for other nations'.
The Old Basilica - its foundations are sinking
With it's foundations sinking, this basilica is the fourth temple built for Our Lady of Guadalupe's Sacred Image. It was closed in 1976 and reopened in 2000 with a new name, The Expiatory Temple of Christ the King. You'll find grand paintings depicting events that happened then.
St Pope John Paul II Statue
A statue of Blessed Pope John Paul II stands between the old and new Basilicas of Our Lady of Guadalupe at the foot of Tepeyac Hill
Tulpetlac - where Juan Diego lived with his uncle
This old church in Tulpetlac marks the spot where St Juan Diego lived with his uncle, Juan Bernardino, before his encounter with Our Lady of Guadalupe. When the first temple was built in 1531, he asked to live close to Our Lady till his last days.